I like a grey cardy
a grey cardy goes with most things
unless of course it's too small
then knowing how to rememdy this
is the handiest skill of all
following on from yesterdays post
you'll have selected two cardigans or a cardy & a jumper...
choose the one you wish to make bigger [keeper]
and the one you're prepared to sacrifice [volunteer]
we'll be adding a 'wedge' created from the volunteer
to gain the extra width needed in the keeper
Day2 :: Cutting
take the folded sleeve of the 'volunteer'
and lay it along the side seam of the 'keeper'
to check the sleeves you are about to remove are long enough
to fit the gap you are about to create
[if it's not you can use the fronts &/or back of the 'volunteer' cardy]
carefully remove the sleeves from the body of the 'volunteer'
open them up along the seams
because they've had a life you might notice they're a little stretched
a quick steam/press will help bring them back into shape
with the 'keeper'
carefully cut up the side seams
stopping 1cm from the underarm point
even though you know the 'keeper' is too small
you'll not know by how much until you try it on
and unlike me you wont have to expose your lumpy bits to the world by taking a photo of yourself
instead you'll use your camera hand to measure the gap
taking note of that measurement
in my case the amount I needed fell short of the amount I could acheive
[determined by the width of the sleeve hem]
however I don't wear my cardys buttoned up
so figured any extra was better than none
and forged ahead
having made note of the width needed for the bottom of the wedge
I measured down the opened side seam on the 'keeper'
to get the length measurement required
and marked this measurement up from the bottom of the folded sleeves
then ruled a straight line from the top to the bottom
creating the wedges I'll need.
Tomorrow we plug in the sewing machine!
I love grey too. The best colour ever for blending with items. I know heaps who use black for that though
ReplyDeleteand grey thread in the sewing kit is a life saver for the exact same reason.
ReplyDelete