There's a few works in progress going on round here
and I figured if I pulled this one out and showed you
I might actually be shamed into finishing it.
I'm not much of a crocheter and I'm definitely not a knitter
however I was compelled 5yrs ago (kind-side-of-generous) to attempt a mosaic crocheted blanket.
It's an actual pattern,
which I followed to a point
and that was my down fall...
by taking it upon myself to wing it,
I fell flat on my face.
By 'experimenting' with different wools & REinvented stitches
not only did I end up with less than square squares
I also couldn't work out what colour I should use to crochet the squares together....
from memory I was leaning toward black,
in the traditional 1930's lap rug sense but I'm still not convinced
(opinions gratefully received).
After soooo long in it's cobwebbed basket tucked under the sideboard
I'm thrilled and a just little surprised I didn't find a disintegrating pile of coloured threads,
although a couple of them will require a freshen up to remove a layer of dusty-webby grime.
JaM this week
is what's your
WiP
a Work in Progress that you perhaps visit & work on regularly
or one like mine that's been sitting for years and you need to be shamed into finishing.
I'll leave the Linky up for a week in case you decide to join in...
hope you do!




Love your blanket, so bright and colourful.
ReplyDeleteSorry I'm late once again!
Have a great Easter
Melissa
I dont have a linky, but you saw some of my WiP in Eco quilt challenge. I used some of my crochet squares in one of the pieces lol. Anything not to have to see them lying around waiting for a chance to be used. As it is they have gone from one dusty area to a now not quite so dusty area while I wait inspiration to complete the quilt : ).. Its gonna happen .. winter is nearly here.
ReplyDeleteI'm older so I have WAY older projects! I have a knit shawl that I've been working on for about two years now and it will likely be several more months before I touch it again.
ReplyDeleteBackground color sort of depends on your taste. You could really use any neutral color. Brown might work just as well as black, or even red or navy. I personally like a dark background color for my squares. Since it's crochet, it really doesn't matter if these are square or not. You can easily pad a square out with a row of crochet on just the top or bottom. If it were me, I'd go through the squares and add those extra rows, using the background color, to make the squares roughly the same size. Then I'd do a row or two around each square to edge it.
I linked to my flickr page for this one since that's where I've posted the images of my latest WIP. I hope you enjoy the photos of my Antoinette Piece of Cake Frock... the latest in what appears to be an endless series! I am in love with Jody's pattern and just having so much fun locating fabrics to pair up. Antoinette uses a Toile print (Alexander Henry) that features Day of the Dead skeletons, paired with a fussy girlie tea cup print from Elizabeth Studio fabrics. I shall prance around saying "Let Them Eat Cake" whilst wearing this one.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I love the crochet blanket... the saturated bright colors remind me of Frida Kahlo and I think it will look absolutely lovely draped over a sofa or bed when finished!
What fantastic colors to brighten up your day so glad you didn't find a little creature had made a home in the bottom of the basket. I'm late in joining in this week too and i have sooooo many projects which one to choose????
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful colours. It will look amazing when it's finished.
ReplyDelete