Monday, May 2, 2016

MM - The Little Red Dress That Was a Skirt

'MakeOver Monday' 
... sharing how I cut up & REmake items from my wardrobe 
in the hope you'll pick up scissors & start cutting up yours!


Sometimes a REinvent sneaks up on you...

while mucking around making a wrap pattern over the weekend
I REdiscovered
a rescued Miranda Brown Conscious Cloth soft-as-butter merino wool too-small skirt 
tucked up at the bottom of a cupboard 

 and thought I could use it to sample the new wrap pattern
while having a bit of fun  


so without another thought 
I started prepping her for REinventing
and before I knew it I'd cut off the waist & removed the zip
meaning I had to re-pin her in order to get some before shots


next came armhole placement
this took a bit of deliberating because once there's holes in the middle of the fabric
 there's no going back...
after leaving the room a couple of times and a couple of cuppas later
I opted for a not so high neck, 
giving me more length 
& the stripes coming up higher in the front


I was already aware of a few nibbled holes along the back zippered seam 
which had been cut away without interferring with the design
however it wasn't until about now 
that I discovered a teeny one centre front
which threatened to derail the whole project

I figured I'd soldier on
and when she was finished
ignore the hole
or work on adding darning to my repoitoire 
of make-do-and-mend skills...

it was only after laying out every length of bias binding in the place 
without finding a match to finish the edges
that I decided to retain the original skirt lining
lining runs a 2nd to bias 
as my preferred way to finish edges
it hides a multitude of sins
and especially helps a woollen garment sit & feel better 


and after all, at the end of the day
if you feel good
you'll look good
especially 
if it means you get to wear your favourite red boots!


Next Week:

I need a cardy to go with the butterfly frock
and this jumper volunteered!

 
   

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea. I would not have thought of turning a skirt into a tunic. Wow I am going Op Shopping with different eyes. Inspirational. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab creation Jody! Inspirational indeed! A lovely colour and the simple pattern is just right. Well done you and the boots go so well. xx

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!