Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What's on the Mannequin - 2nd Skin

The thing with having a Blog
is that you have to keep at it
up-date regularly
stay interesting
in the hope that more people than just your mother will read it
that they'll enjoy it
come back
stay engaged look forward to
and maybe interact with
said Blog

I've never lost sight of why I started a Blog
so participants in workshops could stay connected 
and I had a means by which to showcase what was possible in my workshops
along with FB, the Blog does this successfully

sometimes a little bit of my other life slips in...but only the good bits

this year 
with my regular workshop updates where I show you what others have created
I would like to introduce a regular Post Spot called
'What's on the Mannequin'
where I show you what I'm creating

to kick this off
I thought it a good idea to introduce you firstly to my Mannequin

my newly covered Mannequin
[who needs a name..we'll get to that later]


she was an Op Shop Rescue
who'd seen better days

I don't use mannequins in any of my creations
I use them only for display
so a second skin was all she required

 

in case you too have an unfortunate looking Mannequin
in need of a 2nd skin
here's a simple mannequin-make-over
which made this transformation possible

Find a clean good quality stretchy T-shirt [cotton/elastane is best]
as you can see I used a long sleeve version however a short sleeve or no sleeve could work as well
a rounded neck is best
in any colour
turn the T-shirt upside down
slide & manipulate into place




start pinning where there is excess
ie. across the shoulders, up the neck & where the sleeves are
you want the skin to be firm so it will take a bit of patient sliding to get the skin off for cutting
 cut off excess remembering to leave 1cm seam allowance
seam down the neck & across the shoulders & secure where the sleeves used to be

 

Slide the skin back on and re-pin any little sticky-out-bits
and give her some shape
re-stitch


now she's ready to look gorgeous no matter what I throw on her...

Doilied T-shirt REfashion in the E-book

now the name
I struggle sometimes when it comes to naming stuff

it took me 2wks to name the eldest daughter

 you all did so well with the naming of the Pop Frock
and if she's going to feature regularly in regular posts
I can't keep referring to her as Mannequin 
and I'd like to do better than Dolly [which is all I can think of]

have you any suggestions for madam...?!




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. I need to get one made for my new but too bright Lincraft model. I suggest Lila as her name - an adaptation of Lily as she is now so white. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matilda, I really don't know why!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Augusta Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Paloma? It has a certain something and automatically goes with "Blanca" , as in the song.....now I'm showing my age!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is called "Legs"...because she only has the tops of her thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial, thank you. What do you think of Rosa as a name for your mannequin, after Rosa Parks. This week (Feb 4) was the 100 year anniversary of her birth. She really is the champion of those who go outside the lines for a better way of living and being, so I can imagine that she probably also 'sewed outside the lines'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Eunice, Eulalia, or Euphegenia. Especially partial to Eulalia.

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!