Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mental Health Day....continued

Remember the post I did on the day I spent wandering Fremantle with my peeps
well from now on I will refer to such outings as my
Mental Health Days 
of which there will be more...once every 6wks is what we agreed I think.

The part of the day I didn't get to share cos I ran out of time
was the bit where Carol showed Andi & I what she does all day everyday.

Smack bang in the heart of Freo 
Carol runs (literally) 2 Heritage listed short term accommodation businesses.

We started at the 2 storey house, 
Colonial Accommodation, 
where you can't help but be awe struck by the grandeur & history of the place 
and having lost count of the number of rooms & stairs 
I'm also in awe of Carols stamina....
although with her being a hearty North Islander, I wasn't overly surprised.

Carol & Andi
Top floor Veranda outside the Colonial overlooking Fremantle.
All the rooms are comfy & homely 
and are mostly full everyday of the week 
and the whole joint could be yours as Carol has decided to down size her operation 
by letting this one go.


Carol will however continue to look after the
three World Heritage listed 
Prison Cottages
 just across the road
because like she said, 'what else would I do'.


I can't remember if Andi & I both agreed she's a better person than us or just crazy,

we couldn't do it,

not only do you have to put up with the Heritage Council 
dictating where, how & why you do or don't do anything

you have people driving off with furniture

people cancelling bookings 5mins before they're due to arrive 
after you've just moved furniture around to accommodate them

and trying to find & hire help that meet your exacting standards

but then

you've got the pleasure of walking up steps, through doorways & over stoops that have been
used for over a hundred years

 

you get to move around in rooms that haven't changed since the original families shared their lives in them

 

stand on the same verandas and look out the same windows 
those families did as they viewed & greeted
a Port City which still resembles those bye gone days.


That's why Carol
is perfect for the job,
her role as custodian & keeper of the Cottages 
is done with love & care, a sense of duty and a ton of respect

with just a hint of crazy.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful houses .... right up my alley. These are just the kind of houses I like because they have character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so jealous right now......

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool job and how lucky for you guys to have a nosey around such beautiful places....drive past them and often think they must be beautiful inside. xx

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!