Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pavlova & Felt

This isn't my first nuno felted piece however it is my first attempt at felting a garment.
It was a very large silk shirt (size 18) which is now a snug jacket (size 12-14).
It was a messy & fiddly job but then what felting isn't and anything worthwhile is worth the effort.
I'm not over the moon with the outcome so far however I have plans to free machine embroider into sections of it - when I get my studio back!
That plain background will become cupboards over the weekend...
The skirt however is another story - love at first sight!
It was pants, RE-invented in the standard way however I obtained my desired length by securing sections around the bottom by stitching in tucks. These tucks form gorgeous folds like pavlova - which is why I officially christen this the 'Pavlova Effect'.

There are more images over at RE-invented Garments - I apologise for the quality, they're not the best - I need a new camera!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just came over from Wardrobe Refashion and am interested in your felted silk shirt/jacket. I've never seen felted silk. Hope to find out more about this. Your pants into skirt project is lovely!

    I'm excited to have found your blog. Looks really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thankyou for the interest and comments. I'm no expert when it comes to felting just someone who likes the process and especially the outcome. I did a weekend workshop a couple of years ago where I learnt just enough to be able to play on my own. I use a sander to felt as I like to see whats going on and because I think it's quicker (I might be fooling myself). Nuno felt is where you felt into fabric and you can pretty much felt anything as long as the weave is open enough for the wool fibres to come through - silk & muslim are fantastic.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!