Monday, February 1, 2016

'MakeOver Monday' - Shirt Refashion #2

'Make-over Monday' 
... sharing how I cut up items from my wardrobe 
in the hope you'll pick up scissors & start cutting up yours!

The other rescued shirt needed to be REfashioned for exactly the same reason as her sister
only this time 
I was prepared to bravely go where I mostly avoid going these days 

~sleeveless~

like any good REinventer who is always thinking ahead
I'd already noted I could throw a T-shirt underneath 
or a cardy over the top

or I could just be brave...



once I had all the bits [carefully] separated
and could see what was what
my orginal idea to use the length of the sleeves to construct a deeper false hem
with longer pieces meaning less joins and a tidier finish

went straight out the window


it seems that whilst [not-so-carefully] unpicking an inside tab
 I'd left a teeny-tiny but unmistakeable hole in the middle of a sleeve
plus most of the gorgeous ruby red & dusty charcoal flowers
weren't in the middle of either sleeve

so option two 
the one where I cut strips along the sleeve and join shorter pieces together to make a band giving the impression of a deeper false hem came quickly into play 
complete with a groovy little vent 
fashioned from the original sleeve openings


before I go on I should mention a little bit of housekeeping that happened 
I always like to REstitch the end of the seams I've cut through
 it's a little thing that can make a big difference 
no one likes it when their seams start to unravel


the only other time I'll use the word housekeeping in this post 
is when I stay-stitched my armholes
being that the fabric is quite fine 
and the armholes most definately did not need to be any bigger 
it was a judgement call to help them keep their shape


and while I'm being all 
'the devils in the detail'
I have a confession to make
I can already hear everyone who has ever been in one of my workshops tut-tutting saying under their breath "oh really Jody?!"
as I admit to not using bias binding on the armholes
instead trimming & stitching the original cuffs into a straight-grained binding 


which by way of an exercise is a good example of why you use bias binding on curved edges 
 straight grain puckers around curves
however I figured it was only a skinny strip
no one would notice
and besides it would have meant a trip to buy beige bias binding


which would've been less rewarding than the feeling I got 
when the only things left over from both REfashions were these buttons



and I love her
without sleeves


or with


and either way I'm feeling brave.

***

{Next week}


an impulse buy bought brand new 
which has sat in my wardrobe unworn for approx. 3yrs because it never fitted as well as I'd hoped and as I sit here typing I've no idea what she'll become but I'm looking forward to finding out...

9 comments:

  1. She looks fantastic Jody and imho no sleeves means more cool, less heat!? Loving the little vent in the lower trim. Inspired indeed! She offers up some lovely options in any weather. Maybe the buttons would be nice in a sweet frippery piece?

    Next week's offering definitely looks like a challenge to me! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another top that will be worn heaps I'm sure. Had a play with a few things on the weekend, you have inspired me, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and you look wonderful sleeveless. I have several frilly tops I've been holding on to that don't work for one reason or another and you've given me some ideas to get them back into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie,
      wonderful to hear you've been inspired to pick up your scissors for some REfashioning. x

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous fabric and a lovely summery re-make. Can't wait to see what you do with the robe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rules are meant to be broken anyways.....it is lovely and a little cardy just changes the look all again. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the detail of the buttons and it looks amazing with the lace cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I love how you just changed direction as you worked with the fabric. It's very pretty as is but looks really beautiful with the cardigan. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy,
      the beauty of REmaking is that you can never make a mistake and if it's not heading in the direction you first thought that just means you get to be more creative.
      ps. love my cardys - the lace ones go with everything! x

      Delete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!