Thursday, January 14, 2016

RE-REfashion - It's Okay to Change Your Mind

One of the best things about REfashioning and REinventing is
you can change your mind
without ruining the design
freaking out over not enough fabric 
or beating yourself up because you hate the finished garment

something drew you too the garment in the first place - try holding that thought
in the case of this frock it was the colour combos
comfort of the fabric 
and I didn't feel she needed to change much in order to make her mine

however I knew as soon as I saw her on after the initial REinvent 
that I wasn't comfortable with the front bodice
apologies to the girls at lunch for subjecting you to what the bloke assured me 
looked like I was wearing my bra on the outside 
it really wasn't flattering 
which meant 
I wouldn't wear her and that's the golden rule
'what's the point in having something if you're not going to use it/eat it/wear it'

so with care I unpicked both bodices 
gave one a quick press and did this:

1.
using the cut off remnant sleeves from the original REinvent
cut them open along the seam line
2.
place the sleeves flat & even wrong-side-to-wrong-side 
positioning the bodice on top
because this is a 2-way stretch I could have placed the bodice anywhere
however size dictated I place her here 
3.
once cut out it's important to copy/transpose any of the original design details
in this case I needed to add gathering under the bust
I then carefully pinned, stitched & overlocked the new bodices in place
- couldn't be happier with the result
and if the whim takes me I can play with some favourite Fripperies
ps. she's now packed in my bag ready for a few days away 
so will report back as to whether or not she will live out her days as-is...
or will become a skirt.



2 comments:

  1. So with you on that. I spent ages making a complicated top for a dress and in the end chopped it of and happily have it as a skirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked what you did with it yesterday but yes love it more today"...that is something I learnt from your classes...keep working it out until it is something you love xx

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!