Today I'm haunted by the memories of a visit we made to the Yarloop Workshops months ago
thank goodness we did [thanks Dan!]
because they don't exist anymore….
it seems that this time of year every year
parts of Australia catch fire
and even as I type
the same fire which claimed these 115yr old structures and their contents
along with two lives and over 140 homes
is still raging…
*
*
*
*
*
I'll admit to being less than enthused at the suggestion we go visit
old railway workshops
on one of the rare days the bloke's in town

poking in and out of rooms


up well worn stairs
taking in every nook & cranny
while noticing every detail
thank goodness we did [thanks Dan!]
because they don't exist anymore….
it seems that this time of year every year
parts of Australia catch fire
and even as I type
the same fire which claimed these 115yr old structures and their contents
along with two lives and over 140 homes
is still raging…
*
*
*
*
*
I'll admit to being less than enthused at the suggestion we go visit
old railway workshops
on one of the rare days the bloke's in town
I'm also not shy to put my hand up and share that as soon as we walked in
I was smitten
and after hours of walking the length & breadth

poking in and out of rooms


up well worn stairs
and over aged floor boards
taking in every nook & cranny
while noticing every detail

everytime you turned your head
while wandering and soaking up the charm
remnants of a simpler time revealed themselves
and it appeared as if like the Marie Celeste
everyone had downed tools and disappeared
leaving everything as it wasready for their return

and as reluctant as I was to leave
This wonderful little video popped up in my FB feed and gives you a more personal account of what it was like growing up with the Workshops always in the background.
















I know unbelievable tragedy.....glad you visited and captured these pics...they may be used in the future for historical records of a little town hit by disaster. Xxx
ReplyDeleteIncredibly sad to see all that history go up in flames! Sad that Australia has lost some more tangible links to her amazing past. :(
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry and thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. I can see that you are as fascinated by texture and the evidence of time past and passing as I am.
ReplyDeletehow sad! just brings home how nothing is permanent...
ReplyDelete