Saturday, August 16, 2014

Latest REfashion :: Trials & Tribulations

Where to start

this has been a difficult post to write
I've tried being gentle
referencing my love of certain things
holding your hand as I walked you up to and through my pain
all the while without naming names or pointing fingers
however I've decided brutal is best
because the experience has been that traumatic
and there's actually no way
to tone down
the fact 
that my once favourite dog

'Lola'
ate 
my new favourite cardy


and in case you can't see the extent of the damage 
or can't quite believe it's true 
[as was the case for me]
here's some close ups

 

I've only recently discovered
the love of a long grey cardy
and having nearly worn the life out of the one & only I own
I can't explain the joy I felt
at finding a second one at the local oppy

I know there's bigger things in the world to worry about
and I do

however on a personal level 
this discovery was shattering
she was perfect
teamed with the birthday frock
for a 2nd workshop
I was excited

until...


thankfully I didn't bin her immediately

because through the mist of shock, anger & despair
a REfashion began to form
*
*
*
armed with new found purpose
I selected some filed grey knits
and came up with two options

a once 
vintage crocheted cotton cardy  


or a lightweight similar colour-toned wool blend jumper 

I settled on the jumper 



which I free machine embroidered in place
and because I didn't want to lose any of Lolas impact on the Refashion 
the decision was made to leave all jagged edges & tooth holes as-is
[after it was washed of course] 

sometimes you know
when a REfashion or REinvent is going to work before you start
and this was the case here
I knew she was never going to be the same cardy she once was
however this improved version of the chewed-up-spat-out one
was a very wearable option
 
especially with the little hint 
of vintage floral bias sweetness
created from a slightly tea stained trivet 
hidden on the inside

and yesterday I wore her for the first time 
during a workshop


content now in the knowledge that Lola will 
remain this side of the bedroom door and within sight where possible
unable to destroy any other article of clothing left within her reach


and that was going to be the end of the tale
until when at lunch yesterday I got up from the table 
catching & pulling a thread

causing a hole 


... back to the drawing board!

3 comments:

  1. Only you could make a disaster into a triumph! It looks amazing, I am sure that little hole won't be a problem after the disaster that went before it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floral binding wabi-sabi to the rescue there too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, what a bugga Jody! But of course you're definitely up for a challenge such as this, once calm, well some calm had been established! You did amazingly well with the re-work. It looks fabulous. and yes I agree with Kara, you could perhaps use some more of the tea stained trivet on that little hole?
    You know she'll be your fav again though won't you? How can you resist that beautiful face? :) ♥

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!