Thursday, April 3, 2014

REinventing a REinvention Idea


I had an idea for a REinvention

it involved 
a vintage 
semi felted pure wool satin ribbon edged coconut-ice pink cot blanket  
and
tweed jacket sleeves

it did not involve flowers


after pulling out and pawing over every jacket & coat in my collection 
and then trawling every op shop within cooee
it became evident my idea of tweedy jacket sleeves 
wasn't going to happen

it was at this reluctant realisation 
I started looking through everything else I have filed with sleeves 
and settled on a woollen cardigan

with flowers



and made a start
by cutting armholes
in the cot blanket



and carefully separating the sleeves from the cardy


keeping the scraps
to create a Frippery




which once the sleeves were reshaped & attached
I pinned in place



and stood back to admire the blankey wrap 
that had emerged from an idea 
although it didn't seem to matter at which angle I stood 
I wasn't admiring 

there was no spark
no sense of satisfaction

as much as like to try and keep the intregrity of the original garment/item intact throughout a REinvent

this just looked like a cot blanket 
with sleeves




so I took some of my own advice
and walked away
slept on it
and in the morning
unpinned the Frippery
and set about
REinventing the REinvention



after REcutting, unpicking, stitching and trying on & off
I settled for a more cropped, better fitting
dare I say it slightly more funky version
of a blanky wrap



still not exactly the idea in my head




but a pretty good interpretation of it


and with plenty more woollen blankets to play with
knowing what I know now
I'm looking forward to next time...


5 comments:

  1. If at first you don't succeed......(although the first version looked good to me). I am very impressed that when you are unhappy with a creation you have another go. I tend to feel like crying and/or attacking said item with scissors. I must learn to take a leaf from your book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you in on a secret Josie - the main reason my REinvents succeed is because of workshops and that I need to look like I know what I'm doing!

      Good luck with your future REinvents and remember to be kind to yourself - if it's not working how you thought it should then walk away, have a cuppa, sleep on it and usually the problem will have answered itself….and if not, fold it up and put it away - you might need a longer break from it. x

      Delete
  2. oooh I love the second version. Can't wait to see what you do with the green

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you can look at a blanket and see clothing, your mind is amazing. Glad you walked away from it for a while, the second version is lovely. I just read a blog about painting and how the artist walks away when things aren't going to plan, I do it when I make a quilt. Obviously a tried and true method no matter what you are doing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - to be honest Jackie I saw fabric & finished edges more than the blanket…another secret revealed! x

      Delete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!