Thursday, January 30, 2014

How To :: Tea Dye

My little REfashioned vintage crocheted cardy was always 
a lttle
too white


and prompted by a comment made during the recent Fashion Talk 
I decided a softer slightly antiqued look would suit my wardrobe better these days
& set about dying it with tea


firstly I added 4 English Breakfast tea bags to 5litres of boiled water
- adding a cap full of wool wash to the liquid
[I find detergent helps dye to colour fabrics more evenly]


I made sure the garment was adequately damp
 before adding it & a lace doily to the liquid
- the lace doily, just in case I needed a matching fabric for any future 'mending' opportunites which may arise


as you can see the liquid wasn't too dark
 [I could always make it stronger with more tea bags if I felt the need]

I left the garment & doily for approx. 30mins stirring occassionally


once happy with the colour 
the items were removed & rinsed until the water ran clear

I should have checked which side the buttons were stitched orginally
but not worried
because it doesn't button up anyway
and we all know change is good.


2 comments:

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!