It all started when I enrolled in a hand stitching class.
Anyone that's known me for any length of time
knows how much I've always wanted to be apart of someone elses sewing workshop
so when Regina & I walked into
Trishs shop & I spied she was offering a stitching workshop
I could hardly breathe it felt so right.
Anyone that's known me for any length of time
knows how much I've always wanted to be apart of someone elses sewing workshop
so when Regina & I walked into
Trishs shop & I spied she was offering a stitching workshop
I could hardly breathe it felt so right.
It was 4 Tuesday evenings
- during the first 3 I tried very hard not to think about how to create something
and tried instead to connect with my inner embroiderer & focus on finding my 'thing'
- 'a symbol in stitch' which belonged to me, was how Trish worded it I think.
A symbol eluded me
and so did the ability not to create something.
In true Jody Pearl style
on the day of the last night
it all suddenly made sense and started to come together.
- during the first 3 I tried very hard not to think about how to create something
and tried instead to connect with my inner embroiderer & focus on finding my 'thing'
- 'a symbol in stitch' which belonged to me, was how Trish worded it I think.
A symbol eluded me
and so did the ability not to create something.
In true Jody Pearl style
on the day of the last night
it all suddenly made sense and started to come together.
Along with being in the company of like minded souls
the spark which ignited the creative flame
the spark which ignited the creative flame
was REdiscovering a vintage childs hanky in my filing,
which then reminded me of the red wool blend Coat I'd bought brand new 3 winters ago
hanging unworn in the back of the wardrobe...and slowly
over the course of the next few weeks
while sitting at my end of the couch
channel surfing by lamp light
I played
with basic hand stitching techniques
fabric scraps
potato printing with doilies
vintage trims
and most amazing of all
I totally lost the need to control this REfashion with a sewing machine.
while sitting at my end of the couch
channel surfing by lamp light
I played
with basic hand stitching techniques
fabric scraps
potato printing with doilies
vintage trims
and most amazing of all
I totally lost the need to control this REfashion with a sewing machine.
I discovered along the way that
taking the slow road is good for the soul
and giving yourself permission to play
involves stepping away from what you know and loosing the fear of being wrong.





omg... OMG !!! I love it ..Magical - never thought of using one of my old kids hankies like that! Beautiful - inspiring .. loving that hand stitching - think I might incorporate something like this in one of the pieces of my quilt. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteJody! That is so very wonderful! How brave of you to incorporate all that hand stitching and stamping and creating in one amazing piece of work! and it seems so you! I'd definitely wear it myself. I love the way you've worked the hanky into it and around it. Well done you!!! ♥
ReplyDeletethat would have to be the most wonderful coat i have ever set my eyes on.
ReplyDeleteEven without the sewing machine you have created something amazing that is most obviously you. An amazing jacket created by a very clever lady. x
ReplyDeleteIt looks fantastic finished and such revelation in the process. I am sure it will remain a special piece for a long time. xx
ReplyDeleteI love it. What a great job you have done. As usual you always come up with something spectacular.
ReplyDelete