I did have 12 Splice Skirts
which came as a shock.
When I signed up to do Cams 'Make it in May Skirt Sew-Along' I counted them
and it was then I realised I didn't have a plain denim one.
A plain(ish) denim skirt is the little black dress for those of us who don't wear little black dresses,
it's the throw on, the one garment you know will go with anything anytime
and I didn't have one..... go figure?!
which is great when you want to be noticed
but for those other days when you still want to be seen
but maybe not heard (as loudly)
something a little more subtle & understated is required.
SS#14 is a single layer variation of the Splice Skirt, which I fondly refer to as the
SS#14 is a single layer variation of the Splice Skirt, which I fondly refer to as the
'Stand ya Ground' Skirt,
created using the wrong side of some stretch denim.
![]() |
| (worn with the Cardet & new Boots) |
Trying to find wearable denim in Perth is like trying to find the proverbial needle,
only harder.
After a couple of fruitless trips to you know where
I remembered I had a few metres of dark stretch denim in my filing
and once rediscovered I struggled to reconcile wearing a very plain dark denim skirt
because I didn't want it to look like I was wearing a denim blanket.
Eventually I had one of those light bulb moments.....
by flipping the fabric over, a lighter much more wearable shade of blue was revealed
and after days of sweating this denims future, it took an hour to complete.
When the only answer to joujing it up seemed to be with either
applique or machine embroidery
I simply added a band of the denim,
stitched with the raw edges exposed, creating the interest I was after all along.....
in the knowledge the edges will fray back to the stitching line,
detracting from the denim blanket look I didn't want.
She's a winner!
Thanks Cam, that was fun
and already I'm contemplating SS#14,
in Tweed maybe....




So true, it can be impossible to find good denim in Perth, SL had great denim a few years ago and then it just disappeared.
ReplyDeleteWow you've really been busy! It's funny how different states have completely different fabric selections. There's always a plethora of denims to choose from here.
ReplyDeleteI love your skirts. Love them so much it's making me contemplate getting the sewing machine out of hibernation.
ReplyDeleteYou can never have too many skirts and all your look wonderful
ReplyDeleteHave a great week
Melissa
Your skirts certainly do all look wonderful! I have a cute story for you regarding your famous splice skirt. I recently helped out a friend by minding her children as her and her hubby were off for a function. As I arrived she opened the door wearing..... none other than a splice skirt!! I immediately said to her 'thats Jody's splice skirt, how'd you come by that?'
ReplyDeleteHer sister who lives in Melbourne had bought the pattern as a gift for her. It was fantastic to see one in person (your splice skirt) and my dear friend looked lovely in it.
It sure is a small world!
I often wonder what happens to the patterns when they leave the Studio so it was lovely to hear your gorgeous story.
DeleteThankyou so much for sharing Paula. x
Loved your post Jody! You have a great way with words and your description of how you came up with and completed this fabbo skirt had me smiling most of the way through it! :)
ReplyDeleteand, OMG I would so love those skirts in MY wardrobe! How could you not feel happy when you wear colour like that! You did good! ♥