I celebrated a significant birthday today, not the mile-stone that next years will be however big enough for me to re-evaluate my standing in the hierarchy round here - I figure I'm deserving of unquestioned respect now that I'm old - they all thought I was very funny.
Over the years, a family tradition for birthdays has developed - we end up in the garden eating birthday cake drinking cups of tea. The cake is always presented on the plate my Aunty was going to throw away and this year the cups of tea were poured from my brand new fancy pants teapot!
It got me thinking about other peoples birthday traditions, cos I'm sure we're not the only ones and besides I needed a theme for the Give Away.
If you have one of your own, a family birthday tradition, that you'd like to share, leave a comment, either here or on facebook and I'll pop you in the draw to win your choice of a
Sew Outside Lines pattern!
You've got 'til the end of the week (winner announced Monday) and if you comment in both places you get twice the chance!
I'd also like to share with you this bag which was inspired by a REinvention, REinvented during a REinventing your Wardrobe Workshop - try saying that fast!
Created from a denim skirt folded in half with 3 mens ties plaited & stitched to form the strap...
...this one is a gift for someone elses birthday!




The birthday tradition here? Birthday week. We celebrate all week long. :)
ReplyDeleteLove to win one of your patterns! Our family tradition was that on your birthday you didnt have to do your chores/nor pay to have someone else do them lol! Plus you also got to decide what was your 'special' birthday tea. Lovely... Now adays my girls 'special' tea seems to be always pasta :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Jodi! Love your tea party and the "fancypants" teapot is just divine!
ReplyDeleteWe dont have any real traditions surrounding birthdays, but when my girls turned 13 i gave them a tea party and they and their friends dressed up in hats and pearls and gloves and ate sanwiches with the crusts cut off and drank punch from my Mum's crazy tea set...it was a lovely afternoon :)
Happy Birthday for yesterday,
ReplyDeletelooks like you had a wonderful day.
I love your teapot.
always a special birthday meal chosen by the birthday person and everyones favourite chocolate cake for afters. and since technology overcame us there are birthday texts too!
ReplyDeletelinda in melbourne
Happy Birthday Jody! Hope you had a great birthday :)
ReplyDeleteWe don't have many traditions- except singing to eachother in the most out of tune, off-time way we possibly can. Since I moved out of state it has turned into many hilarious voice mails I usually save for at least a few months.
ReplyDeleteHi Jody,
ReplyDeleteHope you had a good birthday. Our birthday person gets to pick what we have for tea. Love to win one of your patterns, here's hoping.
Jacqui Farrell
I've had trouble getting my comment to "stick" here....apologies if it shows up more than once later!
ReplyDeleteWhen I lived in the States, we used to try for the ugliest bakery-purchased cake....we'd go to different bakeries looking for the " most creative" decorated cake which was usually dripping with blue icing and strange, other-worldly flower combinations. (A couple of those cakes from MasterChef last night would have fit the bill perfectly!!)
Our birthday brought us the meal of our choice, and cake of choice as well. My cake choice changed as the years went on. My brother (now 50) still goes for the angel food cake with chocolate icing and m&m's stuck to the sides. MMMMM...cake!
ReplyDelete