'MakeOver Monday'
... sharing how I cut up & REmake items from my wardrobe
in the hope you'll pick up scissors & start cutting up yours!
... sharing how I cut up & REmake items from my wardrobe
in the hope you'll pick up scissors & start cutting up yours!
were the sleeves
so I decided to combine them with a tired pair of perfectly faded denim jeans I had lying around
because who doesn't need another Jacket...
the sleeves were fine as-is
however the jeans obviously needed alot of attention
before they'd look like anything other than jeans.
***
To begin
the centre front & inside leg were opened and the fly removed
the back was likewise opened up
initially I did plan on keeping the distinctive top stitched seam
with sweeping [crotch] curve
however toward the end of the REinvent it became apparent this wasn't going to be the best option
so the back seam was completely removed and REseamed in a straight line
and the inside excess removed and REstitched
the side seams were removed
and wedges cut from the bottoms of the jeans
[with their bonus rivet vent details]
to be stitched into the sides to gain the extra width I knew I'd need
after doing the initial ground work
when the jeans started looking less like jeans and more like fabric
it was time for the shoulders & armholes to become things
their placement was determined by first deciding how long I wanted the jacket to be when finished
then measuring up from the bottom band to that depth
which became my underarm point where the armhole was cut out from
and then the shoulder
which became my underarm point where the armhole was cut out from
and then the shoulder
I'm not going to pretend that these steps are easy
because they're not
getting the correct position and measurement comes from knowledge gained by practice
and you only get those by not being afraid to get it wrong
I always allow more than I need when cutting into garments
because unlike a haircut it wont grow back
because unlike a haircut it wont grow back
- better to have more than you need so you can keep trimming 'til it's just right
and the other thing you probably shouldn't do
is start spruking on FB about how
excited you are with the progress
like I did when I shared this image
because this then happened
the length was 10cm too long
meaning if I continued I'd never wear her
and what's the point in that...
so once unpicked and REcut
it was time to start having some fun
filling in gaps
with a few of the remnants from both jeans & dressing gown
[NEVER throw anything away!]
and putting all the pieces together
including a couple of blow-in 'tattoos'
cut from a vintage barkcloth cushion cover
the left-over original dressing gown belt & part of the front edge
became a binding
which finished off the entire front & back neck edge perfectly
and meant she was done
looking exactly as I had imagined her
at this stage I'd like to thank my FB friends
for helping to decide which of these 'tattoos' looked best
| [a 'How To' video] |
for the back
and as much as I love the Jacket
I'm not a fan of her worn with the Frock
so my next MakeOver will be to create something a little less busy
that I can wear under her.
***
Next Week:
by combining an interestingly neck-trimmed smockey style rescued T-shirt
with an abandoned crispy linen Fisherman Frock proto-type
I hope to make something I can comfortabley wear the Jacket with...
and if not
next week will be a surprise for both of us!
next week will be a surprise for both of us!


Loving her sooo much Jody! Excellent work from you! You have some kind of clever mind there being able to work out just how to bring it all together, mistakes or not(!)! and yes I think she needs to be the star of the outfit so something not quite as busy as your lovely frock is definitely on the cards.
ReplyDeleteI hope to finally get around to 'fixing' some of my clothes, I just need to get started! :) But following along on Mondays should be a help when I do get there. x
Obviously makeovers are only limited by your imagination. Love the jacket!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely amazing! I would buy that if I saw it in a store. Can't wait to see what you do next.....
ReplyDeleteThat is fantastic. Yes, busy with the frock but it does work
ReplyDeleteJeans to a fantastic jacket with help from a dressing gown of all things .... amazing and beautiful. Love it xx
ReplyDelete