Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Iron is Your Friend

One of my most favourite sayings -
"the iron is your friend"
 I often say during workshops
because it's true.

Many a wedding dress has been saved by strategic steaming or precision pressing.

You do need a good iron to pull this off.

It can be a tricky business finding the right one
being that you usually can't try before you buy
unless like myself you were lucky enough to use someone elses over a period of time.

This happened while I was conducting Learn to Sew workshops at a fabric shop
over the course of a couple of terms.
The shop sold mostly expensive bridal & dress fabrics 
which the owner wasn't afraid to sample
so I figured her iron would be a beauty

it was

I bought one

and have been sharing it's ironing prowess with students for a couple of years.

For me the most important attibute an iron can have is
steam
and the ability to regulate the amount of steam. 
Quite often the plate of an iron doesn't need to touch the fabric,
steam will do all the work for you.


I wonder if your Iron is your friend....

3 comments:

  1. I am asking for a new iron for christmas, people may think Im crazy but I just can live with my stupid $20 k-mart piece of rubbish anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget the saying that was drummed into my head when I learnt to sew PRESS NOW OR PAY LATER .... and that's the motto I've always lived by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My iron exists solely for my Craft, I rarely iron clothes. Because I do a lot of Patchwork, steam is not my friend. I bought a good iron years ago after suffering through a few cheapies. x

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!