Monday, January 9, 2012

JaM - Step away from Your Sewing Machine

I'm inviting you to step away from your sewing machine and take a photo...
now.
No thought, No styling,
- a candid look at your creative space & the means by which you create...
the smaller the space & the bigger the mess the better!
Tell us a bit about what your latest project is, was or is going to be
and about your machine.

At the moment I am experimenting with making continuous bias binding 
from my stash of vintage fabrics 
with the plan of adding metres of it to the Shop.
Creating continuous bias binding isn't difficult just time consuming,
the hardest part has been picking the fabrics -
tricky because I've been collecting these fabrics for 30yrs 
(some were 30yrs old when I found them) and they've become apart of my everyday.
I'm as familiar with them as I am with my sewing machines -
familiar, not because I use them 
but because I look at them, 
stroke them,
move them, 
rearrange them, 
lay them out, fold them up and put them back. 

Anyhoo I digress - separation anxiety involving fabric is a theme all of it's own!

I have 5 sewing machines.

My first sewing machine was a Bernina 900 (below) bought with birthday money 35yrs ago
and in that time she's been serviced 4x and has had her treadle replaced.
I'm a huge Bernina fan, especially the older models 
and have for the first time thought of getting another this year.
These days I use her mainly for free machine embroidery and button holes - 
 the occassional LTS student gets to use her too.

The green machine is a Brother 524
and was bought off Ebay late 2011 after I killed my Bernette
and had nothing to do with the fact that she's my favourite colour!
I've forgiven her not having a light cos I discovered yesterday she does a lovely chain stitch
which my other domestic overlocker doesn't.

(l-r Brother 524 & Bernina Nova Electronic 900)

I've ended up with 2 domestic overlockers 
because the Brother was taking too long to arrive (students needs come first) 
and I spied a lovely looking Bernette 004 advertised in the Hills.
Apart from her threads getting tangled from time to time she's been a blessing - 
I prefer to use her as a 3 thread to avoid the tangling & cos I like to keep it simple.

I also have 2 Industrial sewing machines - 
a Juki flat bed (straight sewer) & a Juki overlocker.
These machines I use for all my sewing projects
I learnt to sew on Industrials when I was 15.
I like their speed and the fact they can sew through anything.

(l-r Juki Overlocker, Bernette Funlock 004 & Juki Flat Bed with vintage fabric I'm turning into metres of bias binding)

At the moment I can spread myself out being that workshops don't start back for another 3weeks
and if I can just stay focused I might actually achieve something!

So how about you 
where do you sew and what with.

Here's the rules for joining in JaM

  • I'll post a theme, do a post on the theme and invite you to do the same. Please offer suggestions for themes - think this is where I fell down with the Eco Quilt [much guilt].
  • You then. if you so choose, do your own post on the theme, with a link back to the MeMe so others that are interested can join in.
  • Leave a comment if you so wish.
  • Most importantly leave a link at the bottom of the MeMe so that we can come visit you.
  • The Link will be open for a week - Monday-Sunday
  Link is below - hope you'll join in.


6 comments:

  1. Good post - touched a chord with me for sure. I think it could be well worth someone doing their PhD in 'fabric seperation' anxiety because it is a very real condition. ( i have convinced myself of that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have found my creative space, my armchair in front of T.V. thats where I crochet. I sit in awe of your creativty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have a great choice in sewing machines, I would love a huge flat bed on my machine when I'm quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great room to sew in, window with a view to the garden and 5 sewing machines to choose from, bliss.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing space is positively pristine compared to mine right now. I'll go and see if it's shareable :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely space, and I am envious of your machines. I often lust after more machines, but I don't have the space, so I have to be sensible (god I hate that word). I have posted mine, and now I will go have a look at others. What a great way to avoid housework!

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!