As hinted to, this weeks JaM is stepping up a notch
& I'm sticking my neck out with a challenge [of sorts] in 2 parts.
Challenge #1 - for those who don't sew or have limited time.
Challenge #1 - for those who don't sew or have limited time.
Show us your favourite Bag
as in Tote style bag not crotchity old person style bag.
Challenge #2 - for the die hard sewing thrill seekers who always have time for another project
your challenge is to make the
as in Tote style bag not crotchity old person style bag.
Challenge #2 - for the die hard sewing thrill seekers who always have time for another project
your challenge is to make the
Easy-Peasy Comfort Bag
created with jeans & a mens tie.
You can follow my instructions or use your own
with only the requirements listed
linking in below so we can all be inspired by each others genius!
Turns out I'm not all that smart -
I can't for the life of me work out a simple way
to produce this as a Pdf Doc for you to download & print....yet.
Comfort Bag
Requirements:
- Pair of Jeans (med. weight) or 90cm Fabric (med.-heavy weight) - depends on what your machine is capable of.
- Machine Needle - Size 90 or Denim Needle.
- Mens Tie - preferably one with one of those tab things that the skinny end slides into when the bloke's wearing it.
- Optional - applique bits & pieces.
Note - all 1-1.5cm seam allowances
- Fold the Jeans in half lengthwise, aligning the hem edges so that they are level.
- Measure up 40cm and cut a straight line from side seam to inside leg.
- Cut up the side seams and trim away the bulky seams & corners.
- If possible retain the stitched hem edge because this makes up the top of the bag & means you don't have to finish that edge yourself - it's done already!
- If you're using fabric you will need to create a finished top edge.
- Cut away one of the back pockets and stitch to the inside of one of the leg pieces - handy for essential girly stuff like phone, lippy & keys.
- Stitch both leg pieces together, down one side, matching hem edge to hem edge creating a long rectangle piece of fabric.
- Overlock or Serge or Zig Zag the seamed edge.
- This is the time to applique if you're going to - lay up your applique pieces, pin or vylisafix (whichever is appropriate) to the 'right-side' of the fabric & stitch in place.
![]() |
- Fold the rectangle in half (right sides together) and stitch down the other side seam & along the bottom, finishing at the bottom of the first seam you stitched.
- Overlock, Serge or Zig Zag these raw seamed edges.
- To create the flat bottom on the Bag you'll need the side seam facing up toward you, fold the bottom corner down & pin to hold. Once stitched across it will look like a triangle. The deeper you make the 'triangle' the wider the base of the bag - I was dictated to by the positioning of the applique. Do this on both sides.
- Unpick the tab thingy from the underside of the Tie.
- Measure 124cm from the tip of the wider end of the Tie and cut off the skinny end.
- Overlock, Serge or Zig Zag the raw edges.
- To help reinforce the Tie stitch a 'zig zag' from top to bottom - this doesn't alter the characteristic Bias nature of the Tie - it helps to stop it coming apart on the underside & it looks good.
- Centre the ends of the Tie either side of the bag on the outside of the side seams. Pin in place and try for size - at this point you can alter the strap length & check you haven't twisted it.
- Centre & pin the skinny end of the Tie to the back side of the Bag (with the pocket) & stitch in place.
- This is where the tab thingy you unpicked earlier comes into play - on the front side of the bag measure down from the centre 4cm & stitch the tab (cut in half with ends folded in) in place so the skinny end of the tie can slide through thus keeping the bag secure - of course you can add a button or press stud if you desire - my button is purely for decoration.
~ My Tie didn't come with a tab thingy, I happened to have a red one from previous Comfort Bag constructions lying around, you could use a strip of anything or fasten with a button/buttonhole, press stud, ribbon tie etc.
~ The piece of gingham underneath is to assist in securing the vents I ended up with in the centre of my bag, originally they were side vents on the jeans.
As with all REinventions, they are their own entity & grow with you, taking on aspects of your personality during the creative process. I'm a firm believer there's no point in creating anything unless you're going to use it or at least be proud for someone else to use it. Up until the red tab went on, I was worried - then I started seeing the bag in a different light, becoming more comfortable with where it was heading and I continued to add splashes of red via my favourite sewing medium - free machine embroidery - it's free use it!
I've made a little video tute on how I do it if you're interested.
I'll shut up -
Here's the rules for joining in JaM
- I'll post a theme, do a post on the theme and invite you to do the same. Please offer suggestions for themes - think this is where I fell down with the Eco Quilt [much guilt].
- You then. if you so choose, do your own post on the theme, with a link back to the MeMe so others that are interested can join in.
- Leave a comment if you so wish.
- Most importantly leave a link at the bottom of the MeMe so that we can come visit you.
Link up below!












I am in lurve.Luckily I have a couple of doilies I can use too ;)
ReplyDeleteLove it! I also may have a doily or two and maybe even a men's tie hanging around. (And a box of jeans).
ReplyDeleteThanks for a great idea to use some of my favourite stash items! I need a new bag too.
I will get there sometime this week. Just got to get to the oppy and find a tie and a pair of jeans!!!
ReplyDeleteOk, not so busy today, I'm going to go make one RIGHT NOW lol hopefully I'll be back to link in in an hour or two!
ReplyDeleteWould you believe, I have to go and get a TIE, Husbands does not have one I can have to use. Hopefully get one today. I have all the rest of the items. I think I will make it for my GD BD coming up in March, kill two birds with one stone.
ReplyDeleteFound you through Jackie's blog Jody. Love the idea of your theme and this altered project even more! Altered is right up my alley. Free sewing is also something I love to do, but I didn't leave myself enough room to do any on my bag. Next time! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting this Meme.
I'll be back next week. :)
I want to JaM, but couldn't find the link. Help!
ReplyDelete