Saturday, August 21, 2010

Buttons

Found these buttons 'filed' in various spots, stashed in plastic bags & odd tins around the studio (just as I'd bought them home from op shops), whilst looking for 3 inane white plastic buttons to finish a commission.
I thought I'd tip them in together for quick & easy sorting however it's been a few days now and nothing's changed - a couple of students have had a go at separating into colours without making a dent.

I sort & store my buttons like this however would one day, when I'm not working on a non-for-profit (as in hand-to-mouth) basis and can afford to, I'm going to store them in this!
How do you store yours?

8 comments:

  1. Ooooooooo - I just love buttons like this. Sometimes I sort them to size, color too, but they will vary on purpose, just as long as they are pretty close to the same size. It makes for an interesting look. People look at you and say, your buttons don't match, and I say, yeah, isn't that fun? It's like a really great conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Claire.

    I'm a bit like you in that I use buttons as a feature. I tend to use them more as an accessory on a garment, than a functioning part of a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll leave my presco to you in my will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thought of waitng for you to die doesn't thrill me and anyway what's a Presco?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene says

    Are we supposed to look at the buttons or can we sneak a look at your collection of beautiful tins at the same time?

    I know some people are super organised with labelled plastic boxes and containers. In many ways I envy their efficiency. On the other hand I enjoy my eclectic collection of containers and holders that I have acquired over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iene - if you click on the highlighted areas you will see more tins and my interpretation of 'organisation'.
    Thankyou for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jody, I love your tins too! I have one such tin which contains some supa old buttons i bought on ebay for a ridiculous amount of money but which i adore!I also have several glass apothocary jars filled with buttons and various containers containing vintage buckles.
    As a child i loved going thru mums button jar, running my fingers thru them (reminisant of Amelie and the beans ( in the french film "Amelie")and sorting into favourites, colours and sizes.
    When my dad died, we had a huge garage sale before we sold the house and we had all my childhood memories on tressel tables on the patio for everyone to trawl through. It was such an emotional time and i sold mums button jar (an old ginger jar) for $7. Later, mum said... you know, your father bought that jar for me before we were married!. I havent forgiven myself for that and i guess that is the reason for my huge collection of buttons. Now my kids can and do sort and run their fingers thru them as i did. xx its the little things that mean the most xx

    ReplyDelete

Come in & take the weight off.....jug's on.....sorry about the mess ..... I like your hair - where'd ya get your shoes!